Thursday 26 July 2007

I love him more than my own eyes

Haj Khanoum, as she is known, is the mother of a Kurdish journalist who has been sentenced to death: Adnan Hassanpour.

Her real name is Aisheh Imani, and she says, “My blood is tied to Adnan’s blood. If anything happens to him no one knows what will happen to me.” Here are the excerpts of an interview Rooz Online had with Haj Khanoum.

Rooz (R): Haj Khanoum, when did you hear that your son was sentenced to death?
Aisheh Imani (AI): Last Tuesday.

R: How did you react when you heard the news?

AI: I couldn’t move. I couldn’t eat for two days, and only cried. Right now all of my friends and relatives are around me trying to console me.

R: When was the last time that you were able to see Adnan?
AI: It was Tuesday July 15. An hour after our meeting they removed Adnan from prison and transported him to an unknown location. That day Adnan was very normal and like himself. He was not aware of the verdict or plans to take him somewhere else.

R: Why do you think your son is sentenced to death?

AI: I think that this sentence is unjust. The hands of some people is involved in this case…

R: Who do you live with right now? Who runs your family’s affairs?

AI: Right now I am taking care of my family, and I live with my other son who is younger than Adnan.

R: What kind of a son is Adnan?
AI: He is calm, educated, and wise. I am very happy with him. I love him more than my own eyes.

R: Tell us about Adnan’s childhood. What kind of a child was he?

AI: He was calm and adorable. He never hurt anyone. He was always reading books and newspapers. Whenever he read for a few hours he would get so happy. He would come out of his room and joke around. Whenever he was mad about something he found solace in reading.

R: How has this court sentence changed your life?

AI: The judgement has affected all of our lives. All we do is cry and be sad. My blood is tied to Adnan’s blood. If the verdict is carried out I don’t know what would happen to me. I would also die.

R: Did you ever think your son will be sentenced to death one day?

AI: Never.

R: What is your biggest wish right now?

AI: My only wish is for my son to be released.

R: If you could say something to the judge in this case what would it be?

AI: I would tell him that the unjust judgment was not his because this is not the judgment of a judge!

R: How has the public reacted to the sentence?

AI: Every day about one hundred people call our house. Our house is always full of guests. Everyone is worried and feels our pain.

R: What do you want to ask officials and human rights organizations?

AI: I ask officials to review this case in a just manner. I also extend my hand for the help of human rights organizations. I only ask them not to leave us alone.

No comments: